Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hello and welcome!

I'm Magpie, welcome to my homestead blog!

PLEASE NOTE: all people's names, with the exception of celebrities, have been changed to protect the (sometimes not so) innocent.

Last March, we moved from Durham, North Carolina to Newberry County, South Carolina. That was a HUGE change for me, since I've lived almost all my life "in the city" (well, except for my high school years, when I still lived pretty close to town).

Now, I'm in the county, close to the interstate, but a 20 minute drive from pretty much anywhere.

We are living in the "cottage" on my husband's (Wilhelm's) parent's property.

There's a pretty big garden at "The Big House" (the in-law's, for whom I need code names), a much smaller garden at the cottage, a dozen horses that aren't doing much of anything except being decorative and eating hay and pasture, a deaf Boykin spaniel named Beau and a gray cat named Lakshmi. Oh, and my almost 3 year old daughter, Polka, who is usually my joy, but sometimes makes me want to pull out my hair!

We'll be getting a couple of goats from a friend as soon as his goats stop dropping kids (and we have containment for them), and we'll be getting a few chickens in the next month or so, too. (The Chicken Book and Goats: Small-scale Herding for Pleasure And Profit (Hobby Farms Series) have good info on both of these subjects)

I can't wait for the greenhouse to get here! It was purchased from a family friend some months back, but not moved because it had serious brambles in it, now the property it's on is too wet to move it.

I made my initial seed order a few weeks ago and can't wait to get them started. I went ahead and did a couple of  Bright Lights swiss chard seeds in a window box that gets a lot of light. Here's hoping it doesn't get too cold!

That's about all for tonight!  Thanks for stopping by!

~Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment